Usable with a quick edit8 of 10 checks passed
The decision, guardrail check, and recommendation are complete and actionable. Only minor wording or trust-check additions would be needed, not redoing reasoning.
Output
Recommendation: Don't ship B to 100% on Monday. B breached both guardrails we agreed on before launch. Keep the test running or revert to A, and bring a fix to the meeting instead.
Why
- The guardrails were set to settle this. Refund requests rose 42% (212 → 301) against a 10% limit. That's a clear breach, and at this volume it isn't noise. Day-30 retention fell 4.5pp against a 2pp limit. The CI (−7.9 to −1.1) technically includes drops smaller than 2pp, but the point estimate is more than double the limit, so we can't claim it's safe.
- The conversion win isn't yet a revenue win. Conversion is up 1.3pp and that's real. But revenue per trial start is $9.61 vs $9.42, and the CI crosses zero. We are converting more people, and more of them are leaving or asking for their money back.
- The retention drop is surprising. If B pushes people toward the annual plan, which is billed up front, day-30 retention should rise, not fall. A drop alongside more refunds suggests some buyers are surprised by a $119.99 charge after seeing "$9.99/month." Hiding the monthly plan behind "See all plans" may also pull in lower-intent buyers. This is a hypothesis, not a finding, since the readout doesn't show plan mix.
- Day 30 undersells the risk. Annual buyers who regret the purchase may refund later, and the readout can't show that.
What to do before Monday
- Pull plan mix (monthly vs. annual) by variant, plus retention and refund rates by plan.
- Check whether the $119.99 up-front charge is clear enough on B. Refund reasons or support tickets would help.
- Confirm whether revenue is net of refunds.
What to propose instead
Test a B2 that keeps the $9.99/month anchor but states "$119.99 billed today" next to it and keeps the monthly option visible. If B2 holds the conversion gain and stays within both guardrails, ship it.
Line for the meeting: "We set guardrails so we wouldn't have to debate this after the fact. B failed them, so we're fixing the billing clarity and retesting, not shipping a conversion gain that may be costing us customers and refunds."
If leadership insists on shipping B, the least risky option is a partial rollout with the refund rate monitored weekly and a pre-agreed rollback trigger. I wouldn't recommend it.
Claims the judge couldn’t find in the brief
- At this volume the refund increase is not noise.
- If B pushes people toward the annual plan, day-30 retention should rise rather than fall because the annual plan is billed up front.
Grades and run details
Decision model 80 · LLM judge 9 of 11 checks
Decision model checks
- passUses the supplied evidence correctly24%
- passAddresses the actual decision99%
- partialRespects explicit constraints35%
- passIdentifies material uncertainty98%
- partialAvoids unsupported claims72%
- passProduces the required deliverable78%
- passChecks guardrails before declaring a winner94%
- passSeparates effect from explanation93%
- failTrusts the data before reading it25%
- passGets the base of every number right81%
Run
- Run
- #1
- API response time
- 16 s
- Submitted
- 29 Sept 2026